Thursday, July 8, 2010

How To Save 40% to 80% Using Grocery Coupons

Like many of you, my family was hit hard with the recession and I needed a way to trim the fat from my budget.

In late 2008 I was let go from my comfortable job as a Loan Officer, working from home, after almost 5 years with the company. Now this might not seem like a big deal to some of you but this was the last leg of Murphy's Law. You know, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" and usually comes in 3's.

Prior to the layoff I found out my now ex-husband was having an affair with our babysitter after 10 years of marriage and two boys (I know, sounds like a Jerry Springer show!), and because of this stress I lost 18 lbs. in 4 weeks which in turn made my gallbladder quit working resulting in emergency surgery.

Now, I'm not much of a complainer but more of a "figure-outer" and I truly believe life won't give you what you can't handle.

I had been using grocery coupons since 2005 but had taken a hiatus because the family income had grown to a comfortable level. Because of the above chain of events I now had to go back and recall what I had been doing all those years to save 50% or more on my grocery budget.

The key to buying groceries cheaply is to use manufacturer coupons found in your local Sunday paper. The main coupons sections are Red Plum, Smartsource, P&G, and General Mills.

You will be able to find just about everything your family uses from food, medicines, toiletries, cleaners, and other household items. Depending on the size of your family you may want to purchase 2 or 3 papers. This will give you enough coupons so you can stockpile popular items that you use most frequently.

Clipping coupons is not for everyone. I usually take about 45 minutes on Sunday to clip and sort all the grocery coupons. It used to take me a lot longer in the beginning but I now have it down to a science, and the kids are old enough to help out too.

There are times, however, that life gets in the way or I want more of an item or two. In this case I use a great service. This service clips the coupons of your choice and ships them to your home. There is a small handling fee but it is well worth it.

If you want to find out more Click Here:The Coupon Clippers

No comments:

Post a Comment